Monday, July 25, 2016

A conversation about flavors

I had just finished my morning yoga and was sipping on a good cup of  dark Arabica  when he appeared like a vision of  true Caribbean perfection with the sun sparkling off his "still wet from his morning swim" body. He took a seat next to mine and looked at the breakfast menu. He glanced my way and with a beaming smile he asked me what my flavor was. "Coffee or other?" I replied. Intrigued by my shameless flirtations he started with his own.


" I am more of a traditional, smooth, strong dark roast with a little bit of cream. I suppose if they sold an American coffee that was Black but partially Jewish...they could put my face on that." 
I was listening now. The man had his way with words. Now it was my turn.
"What are you made of?" he asked again.
I answered in the only way possible at 8 am on a beautiful Sunday morning at the terrace of a beautiful river resort. "I am a cinnamon spiced coffee, sweetened with honey and topped with a cloud of cream. But sometimes I am more of a soothing Amazon herbal tea. A mix of the best nectar from Caribbean fruits brought together by European science. I will never be something predictable or boring like instant coffee or unsweetened tea"
"And what's for breakfast?" he asked as he got up from his chair and took a seat at my table.
"Green eggs and ham!" I replied without hesitation.
"Beautiful and well read, now that's good to hear. Nowadays most women only think in shades of grey or play hunger games. Hungry for money and not knowledge that is"
"Well I suppose you need a little Sense and Sensibility to shake off the bad blood that's flowing around in this resort. Girls here are more Katniss Everdeen than Scarlet O'Hara and fight rather than use their wits to get what they want. I prefer to sit here and sip on some coffee or sweet tea and watch them battle it out."
"So you will not fight for what you want? You can't get everything presented on a silver platter right, you have got to work for it if you really want something."
"Right now at this point my dear, I have everything I need. Anything else would only be a bonus. I'm not here to collect trophies or be one myself. I am just here for the view and the coffee."
"Well I like the way you think. Would you allow me to share both with you. We have a perfect view of the battle ground from where we are sitting. I would love to see them sharpen their weapons while we enjoy another cup of this amazing coffee. Cinnamon and honey you said right?"
"Yes and don't forget the green eggs and ham. I'm famished"

3 comments:

  1. hahahaha I loved this! I can see it all unfolding before me!

    ReplyDelete